Jul 13, 2024  
2022-2023 Undergraduate Catalog 
2022-2023 Undergraduate Catalog Archived Catalog

Advising, Orientation, and Registration

Academic Advising at UTC

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga strives for student success and views academic advising as a vital component of the educational experience. Advising engages and empowers students to develop educational plans that will meet their academic, career, and personal goals. Given the importance of advising, the University requires all students to work with an academic advisor before registering for classes each semester. Students should always consult their advisors when creating or revising their course schedules.

This chapter reviews the advising and registration processes. More specifically, this chapter reviews the orientation program in which all undergraduate students participate when starting their education at UTC and the advisement and registration processes that they will follow for each semester while enrolled at UTC. Additional information is available on the advisement website.

Important Advising Resources

Advisors: Academic advisors are members of the faculty teaching in the student’s major, and professional advisors across campus. Students can find the name of their advisor in their MyMocsNet account.

Students who have declared majors are assigned advisors within the academic departments. Students who have not declared a major will be advised by an Academic Exploration Advisor in the Center for Academic Support and Advisement.

Advisement: Before a student may enroll in courses for the semester, they must meet with an advisor. This advisor will help the student develop an educational plan that meets the student’s needs, interests, and career goals. The advisor can also help the student with other questions about academic matters and student success.

Advisement Holds: At the end of the advisement session, the advisor will release the advisement hold. The student will not be able to register until the advisement hold is removed.  Only an academic advisor can remove this hold.

An advisement hold will be applied to all degree seeking students prior to the registration period for each fall and spring term.  At the end of the required advisement session, the advisor will remove this hold.  Students will not be able to register for classes until the hold is removed.

Catalog: The Undergraduate Catalog lists the requirements for specific academic degrees, provides course descriptions and pre- or corequisites for all courses, and lists all degree and University graduation requirements. Each departmental section lists the requirements for the major, minor, and other academic programs that the department provides. Some courses require students to meet certain criteria, known as corequisites and prerequisites, before enrolling in the course. Each course description in this catalog lists the course requirements. Students should review these course descriptions to ensure they have the necessary requirements and permission to enroll in the course.

MyMocsDegree: MyMocsDegree (UTC’s degree audit program) is available in each student’s Banner Self-Service account. MyMocsDegree indicates a student’s major, catalog year, advisor, remaining requirements, completed courses, attempted and earned hours, and grade point average. This information will guide the student and advisor in selecting appropriate courses. Students may review and print their respective MyMocsDegree evaluations online through their MyMocsNet account.

Registration: Registration is the process where the student enrolls in courses. Students must register online. Registration instructions can be found on the Office of the University Registrar website.

Schedule of Classes: Several weeks before the registration process begins, the Office of the University Registrar posts the class schedule online. This web page allows students to review all the available courses for the upcoming semester. For each course, the web page lists the course reference number (CRN), the course name and number and the number of each section of the course. The web page also lists the name of the instructor, the days and times that the course meets, the maximum enrollment, any pre- or co-requisites, and the number of students currently enrolled in each section of the course. Students should consult the Schedule of Classes to prepare a preliminary schedule before meeting with the advisor.

The Center for Academic Support and Advisement: Located in Room 335 of the UTC Library, the Center for Academic Support and Advisement provides professional advisors to help students in their academic growth and adjustment to university life. These advisors provide academic advising for most freshmen as well as for students who have not declared a major. In addition to course selection and registration, these advisors provide students with information regarding student support services. Also, Academic Exploration Advisors assist students who have not yet declared a major or wanting to explore their academic options, and can assist students with 90+ credit hours in creating a graduation plan.

The Office of the University Registrar: The Office of the University Registrar, located in 125 University Center, maintains all student academic records, coordinates course scheduling and registration processes, certifies NCAA continuing academic eligibility, certifies veterans, and verifies students’ eligibility for graduation.

Clear Paths for Advising: The Clear Paths for Advising provide students with an opportunity to see program requirements defined in a semester-by-semester format. 

New Student Orientation and Registration


The New Student and Family Programs Office in coordination with the Admissions Office, the Center for Academic Support and Advisement, Academic Affairs, and Student Affairs provides the new student orientation programs for freshmen and transfer students. These programs introduce students to the campus and University life.

Each orientation session includes an optional tour of campus, an explanation of facilities and academic programs, small group discussions with faculty and students, advising and registration, and the opportunity to become acquainted with fellow students.

The University also hosts an optional Parent & Guest Orientation. The Parent Orientation occurs at the same time as the student orientation and helps parents learn about campus services, financial aid, and other topics.

Participation in an orientation session is mandatory for all new degree-seeking students entering the fall and spring semesters. The dates for upcoming sessions are found on the Orientation website. Orientation information is included in the acceptance packet sent to all newly accepted students. Students are encouraged to register for orientation early. Once registered for orientation, students receive an email confirmation of registration.

Prior to attending an orientation session, the student must have completed the admission process. A final high school transcript, college transcripts for dual enrollment credit, and Advanced Placement scores must be sent to the Admissions Office. Other orientation information (e.g., housing, meals, contact information, etc.) can be found on the freshman and transfer student orientation website. For additional information, contact the New Student and Family Programs Office at (423) 425-5220.

English Placement Policy

UTC uses a Directed Self-Placement process to help students determine the appropriate English class. Students with an ACT English subscore of 30 or higher must take only ENGL 1020 to satisfy General Education requirements for Rhetoric and Composition. Students with ACT English subscores of 25-29 begin in ENGL 1010 . Students with ACT English subscores of 24 or lower have the option of taking ENGL 1010  or ENGL 1011 , which includes a one-hour tutorial to help ensure their success in college composition. Students should begin by visiting the UTC Directed Self Placement website to familiarize themselves with the composition courses and then examine their writing and reading practices using the Directed Self-Placement Questionnaire. The website will help students learn the detailed expectations of each course so that they can make a selection based on their ability to meet those expectations. After students have decided which course is best for them, they will complete an Academic Interest Questionnaire (AIQ). Students should read all the Directed Self-Placement information carefully before making a choice. Students should also consult with a high school counselor, teachers, parents, and others who are familiar with their writing and study habits before making a final placement decision. Note: Students who transfer the equivalent of English 1006 or ENGL 1010  do not follow this placement process, but will be expected to enroll in the next sequential English course until composition requirements are completed.

Mathematics Placement System

By state law, UTC no longer offers developmental mathematics courses. The Mathematics Department offers students the opportunity to complete the Math Placement Test to demonstrate proficiency for appropriate UTC courses. Please visit the Mathematics department website for additional information regarding the Math Placement Test.

How to Determine Appropriate Mathematics Courses

Students may use the higher of their UTC Mathematics Placement Test Level, ACT Mathematics subscore, or SAT Mathematics subscore to determine their eligibility for a mathematics course. The following table should be used in conjunction with the mathematics requirements for a specific major and with prerequisite course requirements to determine in which mathematics course they may enroll. Please note that a student’s first mathematics course should be one which is appropriate for their intended major, not the highest one for which they are eligible.

In general, students must complete three (3) credit hours in the Mathematics general education category. Students are expected to complete this requirement within the first 30 attempted credit hours. Students with ACT-Math scores of 28 or above (SAT Math of 660 or above) are exempt from this requirement.

For sequential courses, including MATH 1130 -MATH 1830 , MATH 1710 -MATH 1720 -MATH 1950 , MATH 1130 -MATH 1730 -MATH 1950 , and MATH 2150 -MATH 2160 , students may, under unusual circumstances, start with a lower level course than the course listed in the following table. In no case may a student start with a higher level course.

The Mathematics Department strongly encourages students to enroll in a mathematics course during their first year at UTC. Success in mathematics requires that students remember specific skills learned in previous mathematics courses.


UTC Math Course   ACT Math Subscore SAT Math Subscore
MATH 1010 - Mathematics in the Modern World 1   Not required Not required
MATH 2100 - Introductory Statistics 2   Not required Not required
MATH 2150 - Mathematics for Elementary and Middle School Teachers I     19 or higher 510 or higher
MATH 1130 - College Algebra 1, 3   19 or higher 510 or higher
MATH 1710 - Precalculus I 3    19 or higher 510 or higher
MATH 1730 - Combined Precalculus     24 or higher 580 or higher
MATH 1830 - Calculus for Management, Life, and Social Sciences 1   26 or higher 610 or higher 
MATH 1720 - Precalculus II     26 or higher 610 of higher
MATH 2160 - Mathematics for Elementary and Middle School Teachers II 1  

26 or higher

610 or higher
MATH 1950 - Calculus with Analytic Geometry I 1, 3, 4   28 or higher 660 or higher



  1. MATH 1010 MATH 1130 MATH 1710 MATH 1830 MATH 1950  , and MATH 2160  satisfy the General Education Mathematics requirement. These courses also fulfill mathematics requirements for some majors.
  2. MATH 2100  satisfies the General Education Statistics requirement; it does not satisfy the General Education Mathematics requirement. (Certain majors may require a different statistics course for the General Education Statistics requirement.)
  3. Students with a MATH ACT subscore of less than 19 (MATH SAT less than 510) should seek a developmental course equivalent to MATH 1006, or Step Ahead Math, before enrolling in this course. Since UTC, by state law, no longer offers such developmental mathematics courses, please check with the Department of Mathematics for guidance on courses at other institutions.
  4. To be eligible for MATH 1950 , students must have the equivalent of at least a semester of high school trigonometry.

Students who have MATH ACT subscores 19 - 21 (MATH SAT 510 - 530), may elect to participate in Step Ahead, a short course to prepare for College Algebra and Precalculus I. For more information, visit the Mathematics website.


Mathematics Placement with SAILS Credit

UTC does not recognize SAILS-MATH as a course placement tool, although UTC encourages and recognizes such programs as additional mathematics preparation. All students enrolled at UTC may register for a General Education Mathematics course such as Mathematics in Our Modern World (MATH 1010) or a General Education Statistics course such as Introductory Statistics (MATH 2100).  Any SAILS-completer who enrolls at UTC and requires an algebra-intensive, college-level course such as College Algebra (MATH 1130) or Pre-calculus I (MATH 1710), or any course for which these courses are a prerequisite, should seek additional placement information or preparation as needed.


The ACT, the ACT Residual, or other assessment instruments may provide placement guidance. Students may also take part in the UTC Step Ahead Math program. UTC Step Ahead Math is an intense, 10-day algebra boot camp offered prior to each fall semester. Students who complete the program and earn at least the minimum score on the final exam may receive placement into MATH 1130, MATH 1710, or MATH 2150. Students who do not earn the minimum final exam score may still enroll in MATH 1010 for general education credit at UTC.

Foreign Language

All incoming students who have three years or more of high school study in a single foreign language (and no college level study of the language) and who wish to continue study in that language will be required to take a placement test to determine their level of competence in that language. A student may begin study of the language at the level determined by the placement exam.

New Student Registration

During orientation sessions, students will receive academic advisement and a pre-registered schedule of courses. Students have the opportunity to make changes to their pre-registered schedule after attending advising at their orientation session. In most cases, students who have a declared major will learn more about their major from their academic department and be advised by a professional advisor.

Students who have not yet declared a major will be advised by an Academic Exploration Advisor from the Center for Academic Support and Advisement.  In addition to meeting with their major department, student athletes should also meet with staff in the Athletic Department to verify compliance with NCAA regulations.

Regular Advisement and Registration


Academic advisors assist students in developing educational plans that will meet their academic, career, and personal goals. This section describes campus resources available to all students to help in the advisement and registration process.

The Advising Process

All students must meet with their advisor prior to course registration each term, but students are encouraged to speak with their advisor any time they have questions related to their academics and student success. The following sections review the specific advising processes for different groups of students.

Advising for Students Who Have Declared a Major

Most freshmen students are advised in the Center for Academic Support and Advisement. Returning and transfer students who have declared a major should seek regular advising from their major department or their college. 

Advising for Students Who Have Not Declared a Major

The Academic Exploration Advisors in the Center for Academic Support and Advisement advise students who have not yet declared a major. To schedule an appointment with an advisor, the student should go to the Center located in Room 335 of the UTC Library or call (423) 425-4573.

All students must declare a major after they have completed 42 credit hours. A hold will be placed on the student’s registration once 42 hours have been earned and a major other than Undecided has not been declared.

Advising for Transfer Students

All transfer students must meet with an advisor before registering for classes. Transfer students who have declared a major should contact their academic department to schedule an advising session. Transfer students who have not declared a major must contact the Center for Academic Support and Advisement located in Room 335 of the UTC Library or (423) 425-4573 for assistance. Questions or concerns regarding the acceptance of transfer credits should be directed to the Office of the University Registrar.

Advising for Students with Disabilities

Students with disabilities should follow the regular advising procedures described above. During the advising process, the student should ensure that the advisor understands the accommodations that the student requires and that the course schedule reflects these needs. Students and advisors are strongly encouraged to contact the Disability Resource Centerlocated in the University Center or call (423) 425-4006 should specific questions about the student’s needs arise.

Advising for the Student-Athlete

Students who are members of University varsity sport teams should seek the advice of their major department and the athletic academic advisor to ensure they remain eligible to participate in their sport.

Advising for Students Enrolled in the Honors College

Because students enrolled in the Honors College must complete unique curricula, they are advised by members of the Honors College staff as well as by the faculty of their major departments; they also receive early priority registration.

Brock Scholars

First-year Brock Scholars are required to meet with an honors advisor each semester to review their goals and academic progress and to plan schedules for subsequent semesters. Sophomore, junior, and senior Brock Scholars will meet with a faculty or professional advisor in their major department or college, and are strongly encouraged to schedule advisement and review sessions with an honors advisor. Each semester, the Associate Dean of the Honors College reviews the academic progress and standing of all Brock Scholars and meets with students and advisors to discuss areas of concern.

Innovations in Honors

Students enrolled in the Innovations in Honors (IIH) program will meet with a faculty or professional advisor in their major department or college, and are required to meet with an honors advisor during their first semester of enrollment in the program in order to review their goals and plan their academic progress through the program requirements. They are strongly encouraged to meet with an honors advisor in each semester during which they are enrolled in the College. The Associate Dean of the Honors College reviews academic standing and progress of all IIH students at regular intervals and meets with students and advisors to discuss areas of concern.

Advising Seminars

In addition, all Honors College students enroll in special academic advising courses. Brock Scholars enroll in UHON 1000r UHON 2000r , or UHON 3000r  depending on their class level; IIH students enroll in UHON 2000r  or UHON 3000r  depending on their progress in the program. These courses offer information on academic and career planning, unique opportunities to enhance students’ educational experiences, research and thesis planning, and university resources.

Pre-Law Students

Students who plan to attend law school should meet with a pre-law advisor in the Department of Political Science, the Department of English, the Department of History, or the Department of Legal Assistant Studies. The advisors help student develop a course of study that will prepare them for the Law School Admission Test (LSAT). The pre-law advisor will also suggest additional courses and non-academic activities that will prepare students for law school. Students should also contact their major departments for guidance in completing the Bachelor degree.

Pre-Health Students

Students who plan to attend a professional healthcare program after completing a degree such as medical, dental, physician assistant, occupational therapy, physical therapy, pharmacy, or veterinary school should meet with a pre-health advisor. The advisor will help students develop a course of study that will prepare them for entrance exams, such as the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) and the Dental Admissions Test (DAT). The minimum requirements for admission to a professional healthcare program vary greatly, however students should expect to complete courses in Chemistry (general and organic), Biology (general biology), Physics (general physics), as well as additional Biology, Psychology, and English courses. The pre-health advisor will also suggest additional courses and non-academic activities that will prepare students for professional healthcare programs. Students should also contact their major departments for guidance in completing a bachelor’s degree. Details about pre-health advising at UTC are available online.

General Rules and Guidelines Related to Selecting Courses


This section reviews the general guidelines students should follow when selecting courses. Other sections of this catalog present more specific rules and regulations regarding specific degree requirements.

Classification of Students

The University classifies undergraduate students as freshmen, sophomores, juniors, or seniors according to the number of credit hours the student has completed. The student’s classification determines the level of course for which the student may enroll. The following table presents the relation between class standing and semesters hours completed.

  Freshman 0-29 semester hours
  Sophomore 30-59 semester hours
  Junior 60-89 semester hours
  Senior 90 or more semester hours

Course Numbers and Levels

The course number represents its appropriateness for a student’s classification. The following table presents the course levels and corresponding classification of students who should enroll in the courses.

0000-0999 Activity and select music ensemble courses.
1000-1999 Primarily for freshmen but may be taken by sophomores and juniors. The faculty recommend that seniors do not enroll in these courses.
2000-2999 Primarily for sophomores but open to juniors and seniors.
3000-3999 For juniors and seniors.
4000-4999 For seniors.
5000-7999 Restricted to graduate students. Courses at this level cannot be used for an undergraduate degree.

In special circumstances a student may register for a course at a level above his or her classification in accordance with departmental policy and with the recommendation of the advisor. Freshmen may not register for 3000- and 4000-level courses without the approval of the department that houses the course.

Prerequisites and Corequisites

Many courses require that students fulfill one or more prerequisites and/or corequisites to enroll in the course. Each course description in this catalog lists the course requirements. A prerequisite is a course that must be successfully completed before the student may enroll in the course. A corequisite is a course in which the student is required to enroll during the same semester. Students should review these course descriptions before registering for the class. Students who do not have the required pre- and/or corequisites are not eligible to take the course. Students must meet pre- and corequisites in effect at the time of registration for the course.

Courses Requiring Special Permission for Registration

Some courses require special permission before students may register for the course. The course listing will list these requirements along with the course prerequisites. Students should review these course descriptions and obtain the necessary permission before registration.

  • Individual Studies/Research Contracts/Honors Thesis - Students registering for individual studies or individual research courses must submit a contract identifying the nature of the study/research; the responsibilities of the student, the criteria for evaluation and grading, and arrangements and frequency of meetings with faculty director. The contract must be signed by the student, the faculty director and the department head. Students registering for Honors thesis must also obtain the Honors program director’s signature.

Freshmen may not register for 3000- and 4000-level courses without the approval of the department that houses the course.

Grade Point Average Definitions

  • Institutional Semester: Includes UTC work for the current semester (excludes developmental course work).
  • Institutional Cumulative: Includes all UTC work posted to the student’s academic record—cumulative meaning more than one semester (excludes developmental course work).
  • Transfer Semester: Includes the transfer work for the current semester posted to the student’s academic record.
  • Transfer Cumulative: Includes all transfer work and work for the current semester—cumulative meaning more than one semester.
  • Overall Semester: Includes UTC and transfer work posted to the student’s academic record.
  • Overall Cumulative: Includes all UTC and transfer work posted to the student’s academic record—cumulative meaning more than one semester.

Continuation standards are based upon the overall GPA for all students.

Deficiency Courses


Students admitted with a high school deficiency may satisfy that deficiency by taking the appropriate course identified in the chart below.

Subject Area High School
Courses that Satisfy a Deficiency
English 4 units ENGL 1010 ENGL 1011  
Mathematics 2 units Algebra
1 unit Geometry
Math requirements are satisfied by MATH 1010 MATH 1130 MATH 1710 MATH 1720 MATH 1830 MATH 1950  
Laboratory Science 2 units GEOL 1000 , ESC 1500 , GNSC 1110 /GNSC 1110L  
American History 1 unit 6 hours from HIST 2010 HIST 2020 HIST 2030  
Social Science
(Geography, World or European History)
1 unit GEOG 1030 HIST 1110 HIST 1120  
A single foreign Language 2 units 1 or 2 semesters of the same foreign language
Visual/Performing Arts 1 unit ART 1110 MUS 1110 , THSP 1110  or THSP 1150  

Undergraduate Degrees

The University offers undergraduate programs that lead to the degrees of Bachelor of Applied Science, Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Integrated Studies, Bachelor of Music, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering, Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Bachelor of Science in Computer Engineering, Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Bachelor of Science in Nursing, and Bachelor of Social Work. Majors offered within these degrees are as follows. Specific requirements for these degrees are outlined in the appropriate colleges and divisions.

Click here to Undergraduate Degrees .

Responsibility for Following Degree Requirements

Each student is responsible for understanding and following the policies outlined in this catalog and for understanding the specific degree requirements for his or her program of study. The “Academic Regulations” chapter of this catalog describes the general requirements that all students must fulfill to complete a Bachelor’s degree. The “Course Listing” section describes the course requirements for each major. Although faculty and other University officials may offer advice regarding particular matters, the student must ensure that he or she understands the consequence of acting on such advice. Moreover, the student assumes sole responsibility for the consequence of creating or modifying his or her course schedule.

The Office of the University Registrar is responsible for determining whether the student has fulfilled the requirements for the degree.

The Office of Financial Aid is responsible for determining the student’s eligibility for specific financial aid and scholarship considerations. Students are responsible for understanding that altering the course schedule may jeopardize the eligibility for financial support.

Registering For Classes

All UTC students are responsible for registering for courses. The Office of the University Registrar updates MyMocsNet each semester with registration appointment times. Students may register anytime after their registration appointment time but not before. Students must be advised before the advisement hold is cleared. Students must register online through MyMocsNet. 

Priority registration occurs in the first two weeks of a registration period.  Appointment times are assigned to all currently enrolled UTC students based upon cumulative earned hours, from highest to lowest.

Currently enrolled students using Department of Veterans Affairs benefits, Tuition Assistance educational benefits, and any self-identified student veterans not using educational benefits will receive the earliest priority registration appointment time.

Registration Limits and Excess Hours

Students may register for 20 or fewer hours each semester without prior approval of the Petitions Committee. Students must receive advanced approval of the Petitions Committee to register for more than 20 hours.

Students requesting approval of the Petitions Committee to register for excess hours for a given semester must submit the petition to the Office of the University Registrar (125 University Center) no later than one week prior to the first day of class for each semester. The petition form can be accessed through the Office of the University Registrar website.

Drop/Add Policy

All students are responsible for processing their course registrations, additions and drops. All students who register must pay fees unless the student drops the courses before the first day of classes. Failure to attend classes is not evidence of the student’s intent to drop classes or withdraw from the University. Students who do not attend classes will remain on the class roster and will receive grades for these courses. Registration and drop dates for each specific term can be found on the University’s online calendar.

Closed Classes

Students may find that a course is closed when attempting to add the course to the schedule. If there are not other suitable sections of the course, students may seek permission of the department head in which the class is housed for permission to enroll in the closed class.

Auditing Classes

Students who wish to attend undergraduate classes without earning credit or receiving grades may register as auditors. Students auditing a course are under no obligation of preparation, recitation, or examination, and receive no letter grades or credit. Fees for auditing courses are the same as those for courses taken for credit. Audit grading is based upon attendance. Students may not change from audit to credit after the publicized date in the academic calendar each semester.

Students register online for credit and then notify the Office of the University Registrar by sending an email to registrar@utc.edu to change the type of credit to audit.

Modifying the Course Schedule

Students may alter the course schedule before the term begins and during the first week of classes. If a student was not registered in the first week of classes, they may not register in the second week.

Registered seniors with 90 or more earned hours will be permitted to register for additional classes during the second week of the semester. Any registered student adding a contract course (4994r, 4995r, 4997r, and 4998r) will also be permitted to register during the second week of the semester provided they have a contract with appropriate signatures.

The Academic Regulations  section presents specific rules governing the addition and withdrawal from courses. Students who receive financial aid or scholarships should consider modifying their schedules with care as some changes may produce negative financial consequences. For more information, contact the Mocs One Center or the Financial Aid Office.

Attending Class

Each member of the faculty may establish an attendance policy for his or her courses and should describe the policy in the course syllabus. Faculty may choose to use attendance to determine a portion of the student’s final course grade. Consequently, students should ensure that they understand and follow the instructor’s attendance policy.

Although the University does not have a uniform attendance policy, students should attend all scheduled meetings of the course. Students assume sole responsibility for obtaining information presented during a missed class session. Students who miss assignments, tests, and other exercises may complete the missing work at the instructor’s discretion.

Failure to attend scheduled class meetings is not evidence of the student’s intent to withdraw from a course. Students wishing to withdraw from courses must withdraw online or submit a Request to Withdraw form to the Office of the University Registrar during the official drop period. Students cannot withdraw from a course either online or in the Office of the University Registrar after the official last day to withdraw for the semester or summer term. Failure to withdraw officially from any course will result in a grade of F if the student has not successfully completed the assigned work.

Students who have not registered for a course may not attend or otherwise participate in the course. ^Top

Zero Credit Policy

University students are encouraged to enroll in music ensembles such as bands, choirs, orchestras, chamber ensembles and opera workshops. To encourage enrollment, all departmental ensemble classes ae offered as double sections: a 1-hour credit section and a zero-hour credit section. Enrolling in an ensemble course for zero credit is subject to the following conditions:

  • Only fully admitted students already enrolled in credit-bearing courses are eligible for zero-hour credit music sections
  • Music majors must register for 1-hour credit sections for all ensembles that are required by their curriculum. Upon registering for the required course work, a music major may register for other ensembles for zero-hour credit with department approval.
  • All zero-hour ensemble courses are graded Satisfactory/No Credit (S/NC).

Other courses available for zero credit hours include Co-Op Work Experience, English as a Second Language (ESL), Study Abroad and Exchange courses.  The zero credit policy above does not apply to these courses.