May 27, 2024  
2017-2018 Graduate Catalog 
2017-2018 Graduate Catalog Archived Catalog

Fees, Expenses, Financial Aid


  Students should consult the UTC website at for the most up-to-date tuition and fee schedule.  


Academic Common Market Listener’s Fee
Cancellation for Non-Payment Mocs Express Statement
Deferred Payment Plan Music Fee
Dining Plans Owe the University Money
Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan Parking
Disabled Residents Prepayment Plan
Federal Perkins Loans Refund Policy
Fee for Audit Courses Returned Check Charge
Financial Aid Scholarships
General Information Senior Citizens
Graduate PLUS Loans Student Employment
Grants Student Financial Aid
Housing Student Loans
Laboratory/Studio Fees Teacher Education Assistance for College and High Education Grant (TEACH)
Late Fees Tuition and Maintenance Fees
Legal Residency Status Tuition Waiver Processing


Student Fees and Expenses

Legal Residency Status

Students who are Tennessee residents pay maintenance fees to enroll in courses at UTC. Out-of-state students pay these fees in addition to a tuition charge. A student’s residential status is determined during the application and admission process, and this status, in most cases, is determined by residence of the student’s parent, parents, or legal guardian. Additional information regarding residency classification for the University of Tennessee system is available online at For residency appeals, students should contact The Graduate School.

This section describes all financial charges, including student fees. The University of Tennessee Board of Trustees establishes all student fees and may change these without notice.


Mocs Express Statement

The Mocs Express statement combine fees, charges, fines and credits into one invoice. The University sends MOCS Express statements to students who register during the Priority Registration period. Students may access their MOCS EXPRESS STATEMENT on line at, click on “Student Information” then “MY MOCS EXPRESS STATEMENT.”


Cancellation for Non-Payment

Failure to pay fees or set confirmation of attendance with the Bursar’s Office by the published deadline results in automatic cancellation from all classes. This policy applies to all students, regardless of sources of funds, and includes those whose fees are billed, deferred, waived, or paid with personal funds, including financial aid and graduate assistantships that do not cover full charges by the cancellation deadline date. All students withdrawn from classes for non-payment or non-confirmation must re-register for classes and pay all appropriate fees, including late fees.

There is only one cancellation date each semester. Students who register after the cancellation date must pay all fees and risk receiving failing grades for all classes not dropped prior to the first day of classes in the semester. The deadlines for the academic year can be found at the following link under fee information on the Bursar’s web site:


Prepayment Plan

Under the prepayment plan, students and/or parents may choose the academic year expenses they wish to prepay, including room, board, tuition, fees, and books, over a period of eight months, with the first installment due by May 10. The remaining seven monthly installments are payable on the tenth day of each succeeding month. Contact the Bursar’s Office for details. Phone: (423) 425-4781.


Deferred Payment Plan

A student who is in good financial standing with the University may defer up to 50 percent of their fee balance. A $20.00 extension fee and at least 50 percent of fees are due by the deadline date. The balance will be payable on the 45th calendar day of the term. Students must pay an additional $50.00 if the installment is not paid on or before the due date. Financial aid recipients must first apply their aid toward payment of fees, regardless of source of funds. This plan is not offered for the summer terms.


Refund Policy

All refund periods are based on the official first day of classes for the University, as published in the Catalog and on the UTC website. Students must officially withdraw from courses to be eligible for potential refunds. No refund is due unless the charge for the remaining courses, plus the percentage charge for the courses dropped, is less than the maximum semester charge for tuition and maintenance fees.

All charges and refunds will be made to the nearest even dollar. All charges are subject to subsequent audit and verification. Errors will be corrected by appropriate additional charges or refunds.

Students who owe additional fees or fines will receive a statement of their accounts after the beginning of the semester except summer.

Go to the following link for detailed information on Refund and Charges for drop and withdrawal:   


Tuition and Maintenance Fees

Go to the following link for detailed information on Tuition and Maintenance Fees.

Late Fees

All students who register after the first official day of classes must pay a ($50.00) late fee. All students with an accounts receivable balance 45 days into a term must pay a $50.00 late fee.


Fees for Audit Courses

Fees for auditing courses are the same as those for courses taken for credit. Auditors do not take examinations, receive credit or grades, and may or may not participate in the class activities as determined by the instructor.


Senior Citizens

Tennessee residents who become 65 years of age or older during the academic semester when they begin classes and who meet admission requirements may enroll for credit for a fee of $7.00 per semester hour to a maximum of $70.00 per semester.

Tennessee residents who become 60 years of age or older during the academic semester when they begin classes may audit classes on a “space available” basis at the University without paying a fee.

For fee information, call the Bursar’s Office at (423) 425-4781.

Disabled Residents

Tennessee residents who are physician-certified with 100 percent total disability and meet admission requirements may enroll for credit for a fee of $7.00 per semester hour to a maximum of $70.00 per semester.

Tennessee residents who are physician-certified with 100 percent total disability may audit classes on a “space available” basis at the University without paying a fee.

For fee information call the Bursar’s office at (423) 425-4781.


Listener’s Fee

Tennessee residents considering entering or returning to the University may “listen” in academic courses for a fee of $10.00 per course without additional obligations. Participation in this program is limited to two courses per semester for a maximum of two semesters. Only individuals who have not received a baccalaureate degree and who have not had any college courses in the previous five years may participate. For more information call the Bursar’s Office at (423) 425-4781.

Laboratory/Studio Fee

All students registered in certain laboratory or studio courses will be assessed a fee.

Music Fee

In addition to the credit hour rate, a music fee is assessed for instructional courses. The fee is due at the regular fee payment dates.

Fee charges for lab/studio, music and credit by special examination are all grouped under miscellaneous fees at the following link:


Returned Check Charge

Any checks received by the University which fail to clear the bank will incur a service charge of $30.00. In addition to the service charge, a check written to cover tuition, dorm, and fees which fails to clear the bank will incur the appropriate late fee in effect at the time the student redeems the check. Check writing privileges will be revoked for those students writing three or more returned checks to the University.



UTC offers a unique web based tool for graduate students and other members of the campus community to search for off campus housing and to even find roommates, if desired.  You may learn more about off campus housing options by visiting  There is a limited on campus housing availability for graduate students, but you may learn more about these options, rates and the application process by visiting

Dining Plans

All campus residents are required to participate during the fall and spring semesters in a dining membership plan regardless of whether or not they are currently enrolled in class. For complete information regarding available plans, contact Food Services at 425-4200 or visit Dining Services online at



Information about parking, including campus maps, parking regulations, the Mocs Express Shuttle schedule, and more, is available online at:


If You Owe the University Money

Holds are financial obligations to the University (library fines, old UC/UTC, loans, parking fines, returned checks, accounts receivable, etc.) that the student must pay prior to registering for courses. Students may not register if there is a monetary hold on the account. In addition, students who incur financial obligations after registration must pay the charges by the cancellation deadline.

Unless the student officially drops a course or withdraws from the University, he or she must pay a percentage of the fees and tuition as listed on the MocsNet statement prior to the first official day of classes. Failure to attend classes is not evidence of the student’s intention to drop the course or withdraw from the University.

According to Tennessee law, the University cannot release student transcripts in the student has a financial obligation to the University. 


Financial Aid

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga has several financial programs to assist graduate students with the cost of advanced studies. The University provides funds to students who have documented financial need; it also has assistance that is not need-based. Students who want further information about academic merit awards (graduate assistantships) should contact the department of the program to which they are applying for graduate study and obtain applications from The Graduate School office.

Students requesting need-based and non-need based federal and state financial aid from UTC will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA and assistance are available January 1st online at and must be completed each year.

Early application for financial aid is encouraged. The Financial Aid Office will process applications throughout the school year for any available funds; however, we highly recommend that the FAFSA be completed and all required documentation be submitted by July 1st, for the Fall semester; November 1st for spring semester; or March 28th for the summer semester in order to have your aid processed by the fee payment due date each term. Students need to reapply for financial aid each year. Students must regularly check their UTC e-mail, as this is how they will receive official correspondence. (Information updated spring 2012)


General Information

Students must be accepted for admission to the University or be eligible for continuation before financial aid awards will be made.

To qualify for assistance, a graduate student must normally be enrolled at least half time. Five graduate semester hours equals half time; nine or more graduate semester hours equals full time. Students must also be officially enrolled in a degree-seeking program, taking courses leading toward teacher certification or taking prerequisite courses required for regular admission into a graduate program. Note: Aid is awarded based on full time enrollment. Enrollment status for financial aid purposes is determined on the last day to add classes for the semester and eligibility is adjusted accordingly.

Students who are admitted as conditional degree seeking graduate students are eligible for financial assistance.

To qualify for federally funded programs (Stafford Loans), students must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States.

To maintain eligibility for financial aid, students must be in good academic standing with the University, be making satisfactory progress, and enrolled at least half-time. For complete details on academic standing and satisfactory progress for financial aid, students should contact the UTC Financial Aid Office, 423-425-4677 or online at

Students must be aware that if they have received financial aid loans to pursue a graduate degree, and register for less than a half-time load in a subsequent semester or do not enroll (excluding the summer term), they will be required to begin repaying their loan balance within six months. As long as the student is registered as a half-time student while pursuing the degree, student loan repayment will be delayed. (Clarification added spring 2012)


Academic Common Market

The Academic Common Market is a program offered by the Southern Region Education Board (SREB) that allows a student to enroll in an undergraduate or graduate program at a university in another state without having to pay out-of-state tuition if that program of study is not offered by the public institutions in the student’s home state.

Each participating SREB state has a coordinator for the Academic Common Market. The state coordinator’s name and address are listed on the SREB Web site (

Any student interested in the Academic Common Market should contact the state coordinator in his or her home state. The state coordinator will help the student determine whether he or she is eligible to participate.


Student Financial Aid

Type of Aid





Part-time employment for students who do not meet the federal guidelines for employment under the College Work Study Program


Placement Office Application Student Application, Employment Financial Aid Office


All students

Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans




All students enrolled at least half-time in a degree seeking program

Graduate Assistantships


Specific degree program office


Graduate students who plan to enroll for at least six credit hours

Graduate Opportunity Assistantships Program


Office of Equity and Diversity


First year/first generation graduate students



Graduate School Office


All students meeting donors’ criteria





All students meeting specified criteria



The Graduate School has a limited number of scholarships, most of which are single course scholarships. To be eligible, students must have a minimum 3.0 institutional cumulative GPA. The priority deadline for applying is February 15. This information is also available at





Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant

The TEACH Grant is a Federal grant available to Graduate students who have completed the FAFSA, are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens, have a 3.25 GPA or scored in the 75th percentile on a standardized admissions test (such as the ACT/SAT/GRE), and have declared an eligible major as defined by UTC. The maximum award for the academic year is $4,000 with a cumulative maximum of $8,000. Regulations and provisions of the TEACH Grant are subject to change by Federal legislative action. Agreement to serve/promise to pay: The student must teach full-time for at least four years within eight years of completing program as a 1) highly qualified teach; 2) at a Title 1 school; 3) in a specified subject area (mathematics, science, a foreign language, bilingual education, special education, or as a reading specialist). If service is not met: the grant must be repaid as an Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loan with interest from the date(s) or original disbursement.

Students admitted as provisional or conditional graduate students are not eligible for the TEACH Grant.


Student Loans

Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan

These non-need based loans are available to students enrolled at least half-time (typically five hours) in a degree seeking program. The interest rate for all direct unsubsidized loans disbursed between July1, 2012 and June 30, 2013 is 6.8% and begins accruing immediately following disbursement. Repayment begins six months after the student graduates, drops below half-time enrollment, or is no longer enrolled. There is no penalty for pre-payment. Graduate students may borrow up to $20,500 per year. These loans are not linked to family income; and, therefore, all students who have not previously defaulted on a student loan and are maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress ( are eligible. Students admitted as conditional degree seeking graduate students are eligible for loan assistance. As of fall 2012, graduate students cannot receive direct subsidized loans.

To have Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans processed, students need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and have a complete Financial Aid file. Students borrowing Direct Stafford Loans for the first time at UTC must complete the Entrance Loan Counseling and a Master Promissory Note (MPN) online at prior to receiving their first loan disbursement at UTC. The aggregate Stafford Loan limit for graduate students is $138,500 including undergraduate borrowing.


Graduate PLUS Loan

These credit based loans can go up to a student’s cost of attendance minus awarded aid. Students MUST have maximized their Stafford loan eligibility of $20,500 for the academic year before a Graduate PLUS loan will be awarded. Students need apply on-line at If the loan is approved, the student must complete a Graduate PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN) and a Graduate PLUS Entrance Loan Counseling at  Student must be degree seeking and enrolled in at least six hours. A Graduate PLUS EXIT Loan Counseling must be completed once the student graduates or each time the student is no longer enrolled at least half-time. 


Federal Perkins Loans

The Perkins Loan is available based on funding and eligibility.  Students must be enrolled half-time in a degree seeking program. If you have been offered a Perkins Loan, you must accept the loan through your MyMocsNet account within 30 days. The University is your lender; interest rate is 5%. No payment on principal or interest until nine months after student drops be­low half-time enrollment, withdraws or graduates. Maximum annual Perkins award is $5500. The student will be notified by the Bursar’s Office when the Master Promissory Note is available to be signed. 


Student Employment

The Chattanooga Symphony offers an orchestral apprentice program for a limited number of qualified orchestral performers. Eligible students receive wages equal to the prevailing union contract. Interested students should contact the head of the music department.