Professor Joseph Owino, Head
The mission of Civil Engineering Program is to educate civil engineering students for professional practice or further study, contribute to the body of knowledge in civil engineering education, and create a supportive environment that enables students and faculty to achieve their best.
Program Educational Objectives:
In support of this mission, the civil engineering program prepares students to
- achieve success within the civil engineering discipline that includes both professional and intellectual growth and development,
- demonstrate professional competence through continuing education and/or advanced degrees, and
- be effective and positively contributing members within their professional, local, and global societies.
Program Student Outcomes:
In support of the program education objectives, each chemical engineering graduate from UTC will have demonstrated prior to graduation:
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- An ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental and economic factors
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- An ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgements, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- An ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- An ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgement to draw conclusions
- An ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
The civil engineering program curriculum provides an opportunity to obtain a firm foundation in engineering science and develops the techniques of analysis and design which are basic for the successful practitioner. Emphasis is placed on developing problem-solving skills. The students’ experiences culminate in a year-long civil engineering team project supported by industry.
The civil engineering program faculty have degrees in civil engineering and is committed to delivering a civil engineering curriculum that has strong emphasis on engineering analysis and utilization of modern engineering tools.
Degree and Accreditation:
Civil Engineering program graduates obtain a B.S.C.E. degree. This program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, https://www.abet.org.