Professor Michael Owens, Assistant Dean of the College of Business
(423) 425-4210 or email at Michael-Owens@utc.edu
A student who holds a bachelor’s degree in any discipline from a regionally accredited college or university may be considered for admission to the MBA program. Applications are accepted by the Graduate School at any time; however, in order to ensure adequate time for consideration, the completed online application, Graduate Management Admissions (GMAT) test score or alternatively a Graduate Record Exam (GRE) test score, and any other supporting credentials should be received by the Graduate School no later than two months prior to the beginning of the term for which admission is desired.
To be considered for admission into the MBA program, a student must meet ALL of the following requirements:
1. Have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution (any major is acceptable). An official transcript is required from each previously attended college. An application and non-refundable application fee. Domestic applicant fee is $30 and international applicants $35; fees should be submitted to the Graduate School.
2. Be granted admission to the Graduate School at UTC based one of the following:
- 2.70 minimum GPA for all undergraduate work taken for the baccalaureate degree or
- 3.00 GPA for the last two years of undergraduate academic coursework or
- 3.00 GPA for 30 or more semester hours undergraduate credit after earning the first bachelor’s degree or
- 2.70 GPA for the last two years of undergraduate academic coursework and a 3.00 GPA on fewer than 24 hours graduate coursework or
- 3.00 GPA for 24 or more graduate hours or
- An earned master’s degree or higher‐level degree with at least a 3.00 GPA.
All GPAs are based on a 4.0 point scale; the last two years of undergraduate coursework are equivalent to approximately 60-70 semester hours or 90-100 quarter hours. (Updated GPA requirements approved by Graduate Council spring 2011)
3. Have an official Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT) score of 450 or above or alternatively an official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) score of 296 or above with a minimum 146 on the verbal section and a minimum 144 on the quantitative section. The GMAT is offered at Pearson Professional Center. For more information on taking the GMAT refer to www.mba.com. The GRE is offered at the Prometric Testing Center. For more information on taking the GRE, refer to www.ets.org/gre.
*Note: Beginning August 2011, GRE instituted the GRE Revised General Test, with a different scoring scale than the GRE General Test, which it replaced. Under the prior scale, a score of 1,000 or above with a minimum 400 on the verbal section and a minimum 500 on the quantitative section is required.