Oct 20, 2017
The HHP: Exercise Science program is designed to prepare students for graduate work in areas of study such as Clinical Exercise Physiology, Athletic Training and Physical Therapy. Students should refer to the Graduate Catalog for additional information about graduate studies.
Continuation Standards, Internship Admittance and Graduation Standards
Due to the nature of the practice of exercise science and the affect on the quality of life, the following standards will be applied for all individuals enrolled in this concentration:
- To continue to progress in the Exercise Science concentration, students are required to:
- Earn a minimum grade of C in all HHP and NUTR classes required for the Exercise Science concentration;
- An overall GPA of 2.5 is required to register for 2000, 3000 and 4000 level required HHP classes;
- Transfer students must have an overall GPA of 2.50 to select the HHP: Exercise Science concentration as their major.
- If, in the judgment of the faculty, there is reason to question the emotional and/or cognitive readiness of the student to successfully complete the clinical internships, the faculty have the right and the obligation to exclude the student from the pre-clinical or the clinical internships.
- Students who do not successfully complete any portion of the pre-clinical course series (HHP 3600, 4600) may repeat the failed course(s) one time.
- Students will be required to purchase uniforms/lab attire for both pre-clinical and clinical internships. Internship placement is very competitive and based upon previous class work, clinical work, and internship site coordinator interviews. Students may need to be financially prepared for travel and living expenses outside the Chattanooga area.
Rhetoric and Writing: (6 hours)
- Two approved courses in rhetoric and writing
Fine Arts and Humanities: (12 hours)
- Complete one course in each subcategory
Historical Understanding (3 hours)
Thought, Values and Beliefs (3 hours)
Visual and Performing Arts (3 hours)
Natural Sciences: (8 hours)
Behavioral and Social Sciences: (6 hours)
- Two approved behavioral and social sciences courses
Statistics: (3 hours)
- One approved statistics course
Non-Western Culture: (3 hours)
- One approved non-western culture course
Additional Information and Notes
Electives to complete 120 hours.
Minimum grade of C required in all HHP and NUTR courses required for the Exercise Science concentration.
2.0 GPA in all required major and related courses (including specified General Education courses).
Minimum of 39 hours of 3000 and 4000 level courses.
See Degree and Graduation Requirements for additional requirements.
*Also satisfies requirement in the major.
#Also satisfies general education requirement.
ClearPath for Advising
The ClearPath for Advising guides provide students with an opportunity to see program requirements defined in a semester-by-semester format. The ClearPath for Advising guides also provide students with important tips, pointers, and suggestions for staying on track with progress toward the degree. Your ClearPath is available through the Center for Advisement website at www.utc.edu/advisement/advising-resources/clear-paths-for-advising.php.