Feb 23, 2020
Rhetoric and Writing: (6 hours)
- Two approved courses in rhetoric and writing
Fine Arts and Humanities: (12 hours)
- Complete one approved course in each subcategory
Historical Understanding (3 hours)
Thought, Values and Beliefs (3 hours)
Visual and Performing Arts (3 hours)
Natural Sciences: (7-8 hours)
- Two approved natural science courses, at least one including a laboratory component
Behavioral and Social Sciences: (6 hours)
- Two approved behavioral or social science courses in two different disciplines other than Psychology
Mathematics: (3 hours)
- One approved mathematics course
Non-Western Culture: (3 hours)
- One approved non-western culture course
Introduction to the Discipline (6 hours)
Research Methods (8 hours)
Foundations of Psychological Science (12 hours)
- Choose at least one course from each of the following course categories
Applying Psychology (3 hours)
- Choose from the following
(a maximum of 9 hours from this category can be applied toward degree and upper-level, 3000- and 4000-level hours require for graduation)
Advanced Electives (6 hours)
- Choose at least two courses from the following
Capstone Course (3 hours)
- Choose at least one course from the following
Psychology Elective Courses (3 hours)
- Choose 3 additional hours from any psychology courses.
Either Option A or Option B below:
Psychology majors may either complete an 18 credit hour minor in a specific discipline as designated in the UTC Undergraduate Catalog or select one of the Option B concentrations that cover a broad array of topics within a given discipline, 9 hours of which must be at the 2000-level or above. Courses fulfilling the options may not be used to fulfill other requirements, including general education requirements.
- An established minor in another department.
18 hours from one of the areas of academic concentration listed below. At least three of these courses (minimum of 9 hours) must be from the 2000-level or above.
1. Natural Science Concentration:
- Astronomy, biology, chemistry, environmental science, geology, physics
2. Social Science Concentration:
- Criminal justice, economics, political science, sociology/anthropology, social work
3. Organizational Concentration:
- Communication, legal assistant studies, management, marketing, public administration and nonprofit management
4. Education Concentration:
- Education, early childhood education, health and human performance
5. Basic and Applied Mathematics Concentration:
- Computer science, mathematics, engineering (including all rubrics)
6. Liberal Arts Concentration:
- English, fine arts, foreign language, history, philosophy, religion
7. Health Care Concentration:
- Biology, nursing, physical therapy
Additional Information and Notes
2.0 GPA in all required major and related courses (including specified General Education courses).
Minimum of 39 hours of 3000 and 4000 level courses.
Electives to complete 120 hours.
See Degree and Graduation Requirements for additional requirements.
†An approved statistics course taken from another department or institution can satisfy this requirement if a minimum grade of C was earned. In these circumstances, Psychology 2040 must still be completed in order to meet degree requirements.
*Also satisfies requirement in the major.
#Also satisfies general education requirement.
ClearPath Showcases provide students with an opportunity to see program requirements defined in a semester-by-semester format. The ClearPath Showcases also provide students with important tips, pointers, and suggestions for staying on track with progress toward the degree. Students should also meet regularly with their academic advisor.