Oct 23, 2019
Rhetoric and Writing: (6 hours)
- Two approved courses in rhetoric and writing
Fine Arts and Humanities: (12 hours)
- Complete one approved course in each subcategory
Historical Understanding (3 hours)
Thought, Values and Beliefs (3 hours)
Visual and Performing Arts (3 hours)
Natural Sciences: (7-8 hours)
- Two approved natural science courses, at least one including a laboratory component
Behavioral and Social Sciences: (6 hours)
- Two approved behavioral or social science courses in two different disciplines
Mathematics: (3 hours)
- One approved mathematics course
Statistics: (3 hours)
- MATH 2100 - Introductory Statistics *
Students who have taken ENGR 2220, HHP 4010, MATH 3100, 4110, PSY 2010 or SOC 2500 and subsequently changed their major to Biology will have satisfied this requirement.
Non-Western Culture: (3 hours)
- One approved non-western culture course
Biology - 40 hours including:
Introductory Biology (all 3 courses required):
Core (all 3 courses required):
Survey (select 2 courses):
Cell and Physiology (select 1 course):
Advanced Ecology and Evolution (select 1 course):
Special Topics Electives:
Biology Courses up to 40 hours:
All BIOL courses including:
BIOL 4610r - Biology Seminar (maximum 2 hours)
BIOL 4998r - Independent Studies and/or BIOL 4997r - Research (maximum 4 hours)
Additional Requirements for the Major:
- Biology electives to complete 40 earned hours in Biology.
- Complete a minimum of four (4) Biology lab courses above the 1000-level.
- No more than 2 hours of BIOL 4610r (Biology Seminar) and 4 hours of BIOL 4997r (Research) and/or BIOL 4998r (Individual Studies) may be counted as part of the 40 hours in Biology.
- A minimum of 16 hours in Biology courses at the 4000-level is required.
- A minimum grade of C must be earned in BIOL 3060 , BIOL 3250 or BIOL 3350 in order to take a Survey or Cell and Physiology course. See course descriptions for specific prerequisites.
- A minimum grade of C must be earned in BIOL 3060 , BIOL 3250 and BIOL 3350 in order to take an Advanced Ecology and Evolution course. See course descriptions for specific prerequisites.
- Courses offered in Botany and Zoology at Gulf Coast Research Laboratory may be substituted. Approval of the department head is required.
Licensure to Teach
Students seeking licensure to teach Biology should pursue their major through Biology: UTeach, B.S.
Additional Information and Notes
All senior level students must take a major field achievement test in biology prior to graduation.
2.0 GPA in all required major and related courses (including specified General Education courses).
Minimum of 39 hours of 3000 and 4000 level courses.
Electives to complete 120 hours.
See Degree and Graduation Requirements for additional requirements.
ClearPath Showcases provide students with an opportunity to see program requirements defined in a semester-by-semester format. The ClearPath Showcases also provide students with important tips, pointers, and suggestions for staying on track with progress toward the degree. Students should also meet regularly with their academic advisor.