Associate Professor Joseph Owino, Head
The Engineering Program (ENGR) focuses on providing depth in engineering applications that tend to cross disciplines.
The mission of UTC’s ENGR program is to provide accessible education in the theory and application of engineering in a supportive, interdisciplinary environment that
- Prepares students for successful careers in industry, government, and academia
- Emphasizes project-based design
- Promotes life-long learning
- Serves the engineering profession
In support of this mission, UTC’s ENGR program produces graduates who, upon entering the work force or advanced studies:
- Function as successful professionals in a variety of engineering disciplines
- Function effectively in multidisciplinary environments
- Adapt to various environments
- Participate in further knowledge building opportunities
- Are progressing toward Professional Registration
The Engineering program faculty includes those with degrees in this program area as well as faculty from other programs who teach the engineering fundamental courses.
Degree and Accreditation:
Graduates of this program receive the B.S.E. degree. This program is accredited by the EAC of ABET Inc. under the Engineering Program Criteria.
Mission of the Interdisciplinary Concentration:
The interdisciplinary concentration of the BSE program is an innovative curriculum that provides students the flexibility to integrate the core courses for the BSE degree with electives of their choice to broaden their education for their professional and personal goals. Students in the program will customize their education using electives across the engineering disciplines and other courses in and outside of the College of Engineering and Computer Science with a full-time faculty advisor. The students are required to complete a formal program of study with the advisor to ensure inclusion in the curriculum program multiple engineering disciplines and a complementing elective emphasis. This program allows students to tailor an engineering curriculum with elective courses to expand their education beyond a single engineering area of study
Engineering: Interdisciplinary: The interdisciplinary engineering curriculum includes
- a set of core engineering courses
- a set of mathematics and science courses that support the engineering discipline
- a set of general education courses that meet the University requirements for engineering majors
- a set of engineering elective courses in a multiple of engineering disciplines that provide a pathway for a student’s present and/or future goals
- a set of University elective courses that complement the student’s engineering courses and goals
- a set of interdisciplinary design courses that allow students to collaborate with one another on a variety of projects.
This curriculum is especially beneficial for students who started an engineering program previously at UTC or elsewhere and would like to now complete their degree. It is also useful for those students interested in attending graduate programs in medicine or law. This program also benefits those students who want an engineering degree but who have an interest in applying their engineering in a discipline not represented by the traditional disciplines (for example, theater or music).
Students must complete the following curriculum to obtain the B.S.E. degree.